"Here, Let Me Help You With That" For The Week
Most people this week got here trying to learn about April Chadwell, who took down the supremacy of Pope Francis, but somebody got here searching for "walking sticks with green bay packer logos on them." Well, that was one out of left field. The only two I've been able to find are this one, which doubles as a chair I think, and this one, which doesn't feature a logo but does feature a folksy carved cheesehead.
- Magic Johnson's son comes out. Magic Johnson turns out to be an excellent example.
- Learn about racial stacking in the NFL, or preferencing whites for "higher value" positions.
- This is an interesting infographic explaining the fallacy behind assuming undocumented immigrants should have just "waited their turn." The system is so slow it gives them no incentive to.
- If you found the April Chadwell hoax horrifying, you should totally get into some activism regarding queer homelessness.
- Polyamory in the News has this open letter about conflating polyamory with patriarchal polygamy in the news.
- Rock Paper Shotgun writes a nice reference piece on sexism in the gaming industry.
- Yet more talk from GLAAD about how transphobic reports on trans peoples' lives can be, especially in the case of hate crimes and murders.
- A judge struck down age limits on over-the-counter Plan B.
- In the UK emos and goths are now protected by hate crimes legislation.
- Pictures of cosplayers asserting that their clothing does not equal consent.
- Mossimo labels the same color either "Dark Heather Gray" or "Manatee Gray..." based on whether or not it's plus-sized.
- Men's Rights Activists rally around a guy who was refused help through a domestic violence hotline... except he wasn't.
- Do you support Autism Speaks? You shouldn't.
- Another article criticizing HRC logos.
- Also another article criticizing the marriage fight.
- I'm sure that oil spill thing is totally under control, right?
- Sometimes calling things "first world problems" is simply minimizing real-life issues.
- Wife Swap featured a polyamorous family swapping with a Tea Party family. Predictably, Tea Partiers suck.
- This is a good run-down on the whole HRC-asking-trans-person-to-take-trans-flag-down issue even if he does make a bunch of excuses for them later.
- We must protect our children from whale bone pornography!
- Kyrja Withers, a Pagan children's book author, had shots fired at her home which she believes is due to antagonism over her faith.
- Yet again infants have been contracting (and sometimes dying from) herpes during the Orthodox Jewish ritual of metzitzah b'peh, which I shit you not involves a rabbi sucking blood off a baby's penis during circumcision. Although I would argue that people are sexualizing a situation that probably isn't, the fact that these rabbis often state that there is no danger in it when that's documented reality is disconcerting.
- A third of Americans support states installing Christianity as the official religion.
- There's a Kickstarter in effect trying to create a free-for-the-public/donation-run project that treats magic as a social service.
- Ask Angus gives a pretty good run-down on animal sacrifice.
- In Bangladesh there are atheists being brutally murdered for speaking out.
- Patheos is running a "Why I Am..." series where people explain why they are their faith in 200 words or less. My favorite so far is a person who explains why he is a polytheist... who worships Gods found in popular culture.
- I was having a hell of a time making tamarind chicken wings, so I discovered how to prepare the pulp.
- A German chef stopped serving swan meat in his restaurant due to complaints. He'd originally started serving it because people were killing them and just burying the carcasses.
- Apparently people are arguing that taste buds are gendered.
- In restrictive and alternative diet communities, often people talk about "adrenal fatigue," which I guess is when your glands get tuckered out. Often, if not always, that's total bullshit.
This is a temporary category simply because there are some things I'd like to post that I can't categorize well. I call it "Body and Lifestyle Positivity" because I want to assert that I am in favor of these and not mocking them:
- A guy lives as a mermaid. And it's cool as fuck.
- Phillip Toledano takes photographs of people with extreme cosmetic surgery.
- Have you seen that memorial tattoo that says "In Loving Memory of Mindy" and just looks atrocious? It's been fixed. Not going to lie, reading this made me tear up.